Monday, April 9, 2012

Orange Soda Cupcakes

Yes, you read that right.

Orange.
Soda.
Cupcakes.

Don't worry, they're delicious. And they're easy.
AND I'm going to tell you how to do them.
:)

First things first - here's where I got the ideas, all thanks to Pinterest

Cookies & Cups
C.W. Frosting
Real Simple - Marshmallow as Cupcake Frosting

Okay - now let's start the baking party. Woo woo!

Here's the REALLLLLY long list of ingredients. Go get a pen, you'll want to write these details down:
1 box of cake mix
1 can of diet fruity soda

Did you get all that? Here's a photo just in case:


Mix the soda (NOT "pop". Pop is a sound. Or a grandpa. Soda is a drink. Thank you very much.) and cake mix until blended. Bonus points if you get a cool action shot while doing so:

Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box:
My directions were 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes
Then top as desired! I opted to do two variations of toppings for these bad boys. First was a melted marshmallow.
Easiest. Topping. Ever! Just plop a marshmallow on your cupcakes 3-5 minutes before they're done baking and stick them back in the oven to finish:

You'll have to smoosh the melty 'mallows down while they're still melty.
I used a spatula sprayed with cooking spray
The second option (I don't have photos of these - don't hate) is a dollup of Cool Whip. OMG. Delish.
Both toppings were tasty, but the Cool Whip was incredible. The cupcake tasted EXACTLY like an orange creamsicle. Without the brain freeze.

I brought these to Easter at my parents' house and they were a hit. Dad even went back for seconds (and I'm guessing thirds by now, since I left the extras there).

My next cupcake baking adventure will be chocolate cake with Cherry Coke. Mmmm. The melted 'mallows will be the topping of choice for sure!

What's the craziest cupcake recipe you've tried? Was it a success?

4 comments:

  1. I'm not a big orange fan, but this does sound easy and I love the idea of a marshmallow for icing! Hmmm...I wonder if I could use sprite to make margarita cupcakes? Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lori - from what I've read, any fruity soda works with a white/yellow cake mix. :) The possibilities are endless!
      The melted marshmallows were great - just super sticky, so have napkins at the ready haha

      Delete
  2. Those just look amazing and deeeelish. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Megan! They were so good - very refreshing. Definitely will be a Spring & Summer staple around here :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...