Monday, January 21, 2013

Meal Planning - Week 1 - Becoming a Wife

I'm trying to be more "wife-ly". A big part of that is cooking dinners and making sure there's yummy foods available at home.
This is also part of my own attempt to be healthier, and as a result, attempting to make Bob's diet healthier, too.
We are horrible, horrible fast-food junkies, and that needed to change!

So, last week I sat down with Pinterest and came up with meals for the week.
I'm not big on recipe posts, but I figured I'd share my reviews of the recipes for anyone else who is looking for tasty, easy meals :)
Since I'm a nerd, I'll be rating each recipe for Easiness & Tastiness. 1-10, 10 being the easiest & yummiest.

Monday:
Baby Back Ribs & Mac n' Cheese
No recipe here, the pre-cooked ribs were on sale at the store for $5. Sold!
Just regular Velveeta Shells & Cheese for a side.
Had to ease into this cooking thing ;)

Tuesday:

Enchilada Casserole
This used to be printed on the back of Old El Paso Enchilada kits, but here is the best recipe I could find on the internet: Enchilada Dinner Kit Review
Easiness - 8 - there's certainly prep work, but not that much more than whipping up some Hamburger Helper.
Tastiness - 10! We love this. It was actually the first meal I cooked for Bob when we moved in together. awwww. It's like mexican lasagna - how can you go wrong with that?


Wednesday:

Hawaiian Crock Pot Chicken, served with rice and King's Hawaiian rolls

Photo Source - Link above

Easiness - 10 - no prep work besides thawing some chicken. Only 3 ingredients.
Tastiness - 7 - the flavor was good, and the chicken was ridiculously tender (didn't even need a knife to cut it). But there wasn't much Pineapple flavor.
I'd swap the crushed pineapple for a can of pineapple chunks. I'd also do this on a day when I was home to monitor it, since it was a bit overcooked with 5ish hours of cooking time.


Thursday:
Leftovers.
Hey, I'm trying to get into the swing of making meals, can't expect me to be perfect the first week!

Friday:
Crock Pot Lasagna, served with Texas Toast

Photo Source - Link above

Easiness - 6. This takes quite a bit of prep work in the morning, since it's a crock pot meal. It's nothing horrible, just make sure you have enough time. Also, serving the lasagna is a little tricky, and the pieces do not come out pretty.
Tastiness - 9 - It's pretty dang good. I'm not a huge lasagna fan, because I don't like the consistency of the ricotta cheese, but this is still delicious. It makes a bunch, too!

Saturday:
Pizza.
What can I say... Saturdays are just good Pizza ordering nights.

Sunday:
Fresh Take Chicken, Paula Dean's Twice Baked Potato Casserole

Photo Source - Link above

Not the healthiest, but it's better than hitting a drive thru... kind of. haha
I know the Fresh Take stuff is cheating... but the potatoes are from scratch!
Easiness - 5 - the chicken is a piece of cake, but the casserole takes a couple hours. Fine for a weekend meal, but not good for during the week.
Tastiness - 9 - everything was deeeee-licious. The chicken wasn't up to snuff with how awesome the potatoes were. They were totally worth all the work and burned fingers!

So there you have it - week one of being a "real" wife. :)
I'm working out what to cook for this week... the hardest part for me is coming up with sides since Bob can't eat veggies due to some digestive issues. 

What are your favorite go-to recipes?

9 comments:

  1. I really need to stick with meal planning. We save so much money when I do! We typically rotate between three meals: spaghetti with red meat sauce (I eat spinach instead of noodles), tacos (I make mine a salad on spinach), and chicken and rice (once again...I have it on spinach haha). Sooooo boring. But, I like with a picky eater and he likes it just fine, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go easy on yourself - you did it! And leftovers from at least one meal is the whole point in our house. It's a whole extra day of not cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to be more "wife-ly" haha- I think you did great for your first week! I meal plan each week and it really does help! It helps to save money, unnecessary spending, and it helps to be more healthy since you have a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. meal planning does work but i am bad at it too! I want to try that hawaiian crock pot chicken, let us know how it turns out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is something I really need to do. All of those recipes sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to start meal planning... we end up going to the store nightly which is both annoying and financially stupid.

    I am proud of you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay meal planning! I love to do it. For a while, I was sitting down on Saturday mornings, making a plan, then going grocery shopping for just those meals. But... inevitably, I would miss one night, and end up throwing away the rotting package of baby spinach and the disintegrating cucumber 3 weeks later... Keep up with it! I know it's so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to hate meal planning when I was first married, but now I totally love it. It saves so much money and I know what's for dinner every night. And seriously - embrace the leftovers!! Haha. We only plan for 3-4 meals each week - with leftovers, those 3 meals will last us the entire seven days. It doesn't bother us at all having the same thing two - or even three! - nights in a row. It's a major money saver, and we usually like what we make, so it's a win win.

    ps: sorry, I commented twice because I posted with the wrong profile the first time.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...