Thursday, February 28, 2013

Pinterest Challenge - St. Patrick's Day Wreath

Well I'm a day late on the Pinterest Challenge deadline, but it's never too late to jump in the game! :D


Have you noticed that St. Patrick's Day is getting the shaft this year? I mean, seriously, you can't find green decorations ANYWHERE! Seems like most stores have jumped right over to the other March holiday. You know, the one of the chocolate bunny variety ;)

So, since I couldn't find an adorably cheesy St. Patrick's Day wreath, I decided to MAKE one. Take that, Easter!

I was wandering around the Dollar Store, looking for ideas, when I remembered seeing this post from Serendipity Refined around Valentine's Day:


She actually used a bath loofah for her wreath and it looked so cute! So, remembering this, I went on the hunt for green bath loofahs at the dollar store. I was in luck!

Here's the photo run-through of how I assembled this cute, festive wreath for only $3!

Gather Materials - yes, there are supplies for an Easter wreath, too. ;)

Start with the wreath form and loofahs - I scored with this gigantic ombre one.

Cut the loofah apart. This was surprisingly fun to do!

Crazy how much goes into a loofah ;)

I used the palest green to wrap my wreath form. I just used a dot of hot glue at the beginning and end.

Next, I started gluing the loofah pieces onto the wreath, making sure they weren't spread too thin so that it would fluffy and full looking. 

I alternated between lighter and darker greens.

Ta da! A giant round loofah! 
I was a little skeptical at this point, since it DID look like a giant loofah.

Enter these foam shamrocks

I just alternated colors and hot glued them in place. 
I added one to the top, too, since it was looking a little naked.

And there we go! All finished!

This wreath took me approximately fifteen minutes to make. And a whopping three bucks. :)
The best part is, I know it's water proof, thanks to the loofahs!

I'll mark this down as a Pinterest success! Here's another look at the wreath bringing some cheer to our front door:


What have you done to decorate for St. Patrick's Day? Or are you jumping right over to Easter?

13 comments:

  1. I would have NEVER thought about using a loofah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? It sounds so weird, but totally works! :D

      Delete
  2. The loofahs are genius! Cute wreath : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine! I wasn't sure how they'd work out, but they were kind of fun to work with - and mess-free!

      Delete
  3. That is so clever! What a great idea! I really like it too! Green is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love green! I think that's part of the reason I love St. Patrick's Day so much...
      well, that and the food, and the excuse to drink lots of beer... haha ;)

      Delete
  4. Cute. I totally have that same wreath from the dollar store, just waiting to be made into something fun! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly!
      I just figured out that they have three different sized wreaths at Dollar Tree! This was the middle size, but I really wanted to buy the tiny ones for something. :)

      Delete
  5. Another fan of the dollar store! It turned out great. Clever idea with the loofah. Looking forward to what you do for that other March holiday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dollar Store is the best! I spend way too much time wandering the aisles ;)
      Unfortunately the Easter one was kind of a flop - but I'm hoping I can figure out a way to fix it up a little...

      Delete
  6. So cute! Loofa wreaths are so fun!!! You should come link this up to The CSi Project today. the challenge is St. Patrick's Day crafts, decor or food. Come on over!
    www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so clever! I love the way it turned out! Want to make me one now? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so crafty and creative. I love it. Hope you are recovering well from knee surgery. I had surgery on my knee for a torn meniscus years ago and all went well for me. I was able to rehab pretty quickly. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looking forward to seeing your future creative projects!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...